The Death of a Motivational Speaker Fan
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Archived JD Media 2007

Go down

Archived JD Media 2007 Empty Archived JD Media 2007

Post  Meesh Sun Mar 22, 2009 1:57 am

Wikepidia 2007
JD's article in Wikipedia, alot of the stuff you've probably heard before, maybe some you haven't.

J.D. Fortune is the stage name of Jason Dean Bennison (born September 1, 1973 in Mississauga, Ontario), a Canadian rock singer, winner of the 2005 CBS reality television series Rock Star: INXS, and the current singer of rock band INXS for their latest album Switch.

He was born in Mississauga, Ontario, and raised in Salt Springs, Pictou County, Nova Scotia. J.D. grew up listening to his grandfather sing and started performing at a very young age. He attended Cawthra Park Secondary School and West Pictou Consolidated School but dropped out before graduating. He was living in his car when he applied for and was offered a job on CBS's TV show, Rock Star: INXS. Bennison is his estranged father's name, and Fortune is his mother's maiden name. He has a sister, Sarah-Jane, and a pug named Presley.

After several years in and out of the music world, he finally began to strike gold as an original musician. Fortune drew bigger and bigger audiences, ultimately performing at the Friendship Festival and at Toronto's Skydome in front of tens of thousands of people. He also works as an entertainer and pop songwriter for an Ontario TV show.

A vegetarian and a smoker, he has worked as a martial arts teacher, Elvis impersonator, and served in the Canadian military. For a time, before seeking the role with INXS, Fortune lived and co-owned a business in Oakville, Ontario.

Fortune currently is single. He had a brief relationship with Estella Warren after shooting the video clip for INXS's single Afterglow.

On Friday April 7, 2006, J.D. appeared on Australian radio station Triple M with fellow band member, Tim Farriss. Speaking to Triple M's morning show team, The Cage, J.D. and Tim spoke of how much acceptance they are receiving as the new INXS, especially in the United States and Canada. J.D. said that he had always dreamed of singing INXS songs in front of thousands of people where they all sing the words right back at him but he never thought he'd see the day. J.D. sang acoustic versions of their hit single Pretty Vegas and Mystify, an earlier INXS hit.

J.D. revealed that his first meeting with the brother of INXS' first lead singer, Michael Hutchence, who committed suicide, initially was a scary experience. "I met his brother Rhett in Australia a while ago and it wasn't pleasant. He was wearing a t-shirt saying, 'That's not my brother'. "His friend had a t-shirt which said, 'Mock Star: INXS'. I had to say something, like, 'You don't know me, I don't know you. We're just humans.'

"Something changed after that and, by the end of the night, it was a different story. Rhett took the t-shirt off and bought another one. He hugged me and said he was sorry."

He also stated his thoughts on Reality Television: "I think reality TV cheapens everything--I'm not a fan--but I tried to see past the audition process," J.D. said. "I went there because of Michael .

Meesh

http://www.myspace/meeshell69

Back to top Go down

Archived JD Media 2007 Empty Re: Archived JD Media 2007

Post  Meesh Sun Mar 22, 2009 2:03 am

Archived JD Media 2007 FortunesTakeonFameJan07

Meesh

Back to top Go down

Post  Meesh Sun Mar 22, 2009 2:11 am

Australian Articles March 2007

New fortunes
By Elaine Ford. Posted: Wednesday, March 28 2007 .

Rocker JD Fortune is branching away from being INXS's frontman to work on a debut solo album.
JD says his music for the album due out in September, is the best stuff he's ever written.
"Look at Daniel (Johns) from Silverchair. He went away and did his own stuff and now they are back. It enriches the whole experience of the band when you come back from that journey."

But he isn't stepping out of his gig with INXS - saying life is "bloody awesome" working with the Aussie band.
However, JD does admit replacing deceased lead singer Michael Hutchence was very tough.
"At the start I was fighting three stigmas - reality TV, treading in the shoes of Michael Hutchence and dealing with all the fans that were done with the band. The first three months were very trying for us as a band. Everyone sat there crossed armed going: 'You'd better be good'. But by the end of our first concert they (the fans) knew what we were about and they got the fact that it wasn't Michael Hutchence up there."

CANADIAN rocker JD Fortune felt immense pressure when he replaced the late Michael Hutchence as frontman of Australian supergroup INXS.
Fortune claimed the prized gig after winning a reality TV search in 2005, replacing Hutchence, who took his own life at a Sydney hotel in 1997.

In Australia for the band's national tour, the 33-year-old admits becoming INXS' new leader was tough.

"The only backlash is going from zero to 200 kilometres an hour in my own head because there is so much pressure," said Fortune, who grew up in Nova Scotia and whose real name is Jason.

In November 2005, the group released their first album, Switch, with Fortune on lead vocals, and a world tour followed.

"At the start I was fighting three stigmas - reality TV, treading in the shoes of Michael Hutchence and dealing with all the fans that were done with the band," Fortune said.

"The first three months were very trying for us as a band. Everyone sat there crossed armed going: 'You'd better be good'. But by the end of our first concert they (the fans) knew what we were about and they got the fact that it wasn't Michael Hutchence up there."

Now, Fortune is content and says life is "bloody awesome" in the best Australian accent he can muster.

INXS aside, Fortune is plugging away at his debut album, which he hopes to call Death of a Motivational Speaker.

The concept behind the album came in a dream.

In the vision, Fortune recalls being in an elevator watching two men, one on his way to hell and the other the devil, holding a conversation about their turbulent lives.

While the premise behind the album sounds dark, Fortune says it's more uplifting than depressing.

Fortune says he believes it's important for artists to break away from their bands to work on solo offerings.

"It's the best stuff I have ever written," he says about the album due out in September.

"Look at Daniel (Johns) from Silverchair. He went away and did his own stuff and now they are back. It enriches the whole experience of the band when you come back from that journey."

INXS have already played concerts in Perth, Adelaide and Melbourne and have gigs in Canberra, Wollongong, Sydney, the Hunter Valley and Brisbane remaining.

Fortune says the group is slowly working on its next album and will begin recording in December for release in Australia mid-next year.

INXS singer making a mark

• J. D. Fortune
CANADIAN rocker J. D. Fortune felt immense pressure when he replaced the late Michael Hutchence as frontman of Australian supergroup INXS.
Fortune claimed the prized gig after winning a reality TV search in 2005, replacing Hutchence, who took his own life at a Sydney hotel in 1997.
In Australia for the band's national tour, the 33-year-old admits becoming INXS's new leader was tough.
"The only backlash is going from zero to 200kmh in my own head because there is so much pressure," said Fortune, who grew up in Nova Scotia.
In November, 2005, the group released its first album, Switch, with Fortune on lead vocals, and a world tour followed.
"At the start I was fighting three stigmas -- reality TV, treading in the shoes of Michael Hutchence and dealing with all the fans that were done with the band," Fortune said.
"The first three months were very trying for us as a band. Everyone sat there crossed armed going: 'You'd better be good'.
"But by the end of our first concert they (the fans) knew what we were about and they got the fact that it wasn't Michael Hutchence up there."
Fortune said the group would begin recording its next album in December

Meesh

Back to top Go down

Post  Meesh Sun Mar 22, 2009 2:12 am

Fame to Fortune article March 2007
ame and Fortune taken to XS
IT'S a story even Hollywood would struggle to make convincing: aspiring rock and roll singer enters a TV talent show to become the lead singer for one of the biggest bands in the world.

And yet, for JD Fortune, that is exactly what happened - and for the last 12 months he has been touring the world as front man with INXS.

It's all a far cry from nights spent sleeping in his car wondering if he'd ever make it in the music business.

When you talk to JD he is all infectious energy and you get a sense that he still can't quite believe what has happened to him.

Always a fan of the Aussie rockers, he beat off 35,000 other hopefuls to win the reality TV show Rock Star and to have the unenviable task of filling the shoes of the band's charismatic front man Michael Hutchence, who took his own life in 1997.

"For me it had always been INXS," said JD. "I went in for the show because I wanted to be a part of the band. I think a lot of the other contestants went in for it because they wanted to be huge stars.

"When the chance to do the show came up I just had to do it."

JD impressed his soon-to-be band members with his stage presence and powerful voice.

But winning the show was merely the first stage - the fans still had to be convinced.

"I did feel for the first three months on tour as though I was auditioning for the fans," said JD.

"There were some crossed arms at the beginning as though they were saying go on, show us what you can do,' but I think I have won them over now."

Critics have raved about JD's stage presence and how he has added a new dynamism to the band - rather like Hutchence did first time round.

"I could do an impersonation of Michael, but that would be just wrong," said JD. "I just do what I do."

JD has been impressed with the way the original members of the band have taken to him.

"I feel part of the set up, totally integrated," he said.

"It's a bit like being the kid brother."

At the back end of the year INXS played a few dates in the UK, but now they're planning a larger tour in the summer.

"I think this time you will see us performing with an even greater intensity," said JD.

"We've been out on tour for a long time now and we're really road hardened."

This time round JD is hoping the be able to take some time to enjoy his stay I the UK.

"There was no time for sightseeing last time but I'd like to fit some in this time round, although I'll not try to be too touristy."

With a new album - Switch - and the UK leg of their world tour to come, the future's once again looking bright for INXS and for JD in particular.

"I'm like the kid on Christmas morning," he said. "I'm just having a great time and I mean to make the most of my opportunity."

INXS play the Apollo in Manchester on Thursday, June 14. For details contact the box office on 0870 735 5000.

12:12pm Friday 23rd February 2007

By John Anson

Meesh

Back to top Go down

Post  Meesh Sun Mar 22, 2009 2:13 am

June 2007
A quick interview with JD - with some interesting comments as always. 😉

The 5-Minute Interview: J D Fortune, Singer and reality-TV star
'I wish people would see we don't need politicians'
Published: 31 May 2007

The lead singer was made the frontman of the Australian rock group INXS after winning the reality show 'Rock Star: INXS'. The new-look band begins an 11-date UK tour at Bristol's Colston Hall next Wednesday

If I weren't talking to you right now I'd be...

Writing music. I'm finishing my solo project, Death Of A Motivational Speaker, at the moment.

A phrase I use far too often is...

"I'm sorry, what did you say?" It's probably a result of living in foreign countries for the past 18 months.

I wish people would take more notice of...

The fact that we could govern ourselves without the help of politicians.

I'm good at...

Getting in and out of trouble. I'm a survivor.

I'm very bad at...

Relationships. I had my heart broken and now I've put up a wall. Anyway, music is my wife, so if I got married, I'd just be having sex with my mistress.

The most surprising thing that happened to me was...

Realising that I had no one to blame but myself. In the winter of 2004-05 I was living in my car doing odd jobs for $10. But I then took stock and realised it was down to me to get out of this - and that's what I did.

You know me as a rock star but in truer life I'd have been...

The stripper pole in Tommy Lee's house. I wouldn't mind getting up close and personal with Pammy Anderson.

The best age to be is...

Any age when you feel free. When you have nothing, you have nothing to lose.

In a nutshell, my philosophy is this:

You can be anything you want to be.

Kevin Crowley

Meesh

Back to top Go down

Post  Meesh Sun Mar 22, 2009 2:15 am

Jam Canoe Article July 2007

http://jam.canoe.ca/Music/Artists/I/INXS/2007/07/11/4330306.html

JD happy with INXS success

By TARA MERRIN, Sun Media

JD Fortune, front-man for INXS, says he hopes the memory of original singer Michael Hutchence lives forever. Yet he's proud the reconstituted band has proved the critics wrong. (Sun Media file)

CALGARY - INXS singer JD Fortune hopes Michael Hutchence's memory lives forever.

Despite constantly being compared to the late Australian superstar, the band's current frontman says he's thrilled a movie about Hutchence is in the works.

"I would love to play a porter in the hotel or like a chauffeur in one of the scenes -- I think that would be really cool. And if there was any sound track stuff, I hope they might think of me for that," says Fortune, adding the biopic, said to be in development with Morgan Freeman's production firm Revelations Entertainment, may finally put an end to speculation Hutchence took his own life in 1997.

"The man was a beautiful, beautiful person. I mean, this guy was really, really loved and I totally believe what happened to him was unfortunate, but I don't think it was on purpose. I think it was an accident."

While the public's curiosity about Hutchence will probably never end, Fortune says it doesn't have to overshadow today's INXS.

The band's 2005 CD Switch, which was recorded after Fortune won his spot in the band on the reality TV show Rock Star: INXS, generated three hits, Pretty Vegas, Afterglow and Devil's Party, and was followed by a mostly sold-out world tour. There are now plans to start recording a new CD, tentatively titled INXS Unlimited, in 2008.

"We have proved all the critics wrong. We have won more and more fans and our audiences keeps getting more and more intense," says the Nova Scotia-raised 33-year-old.

"People are coming out to our shows now because they know the new music and they know they are going to have a good time."

Tonight, INXS performs at Stampede Roundup 2007 at Fort Calgary with openers Collective Soul and a "surprise guest." Fortune says he has never looked more forward to a gig in his entire life.

"We were just in Eastern Europe like Bulgaria, Croatia, Serbia, ... just every possible city and there you have to worry about your safety and about terrorists. We were going down streets where there were armed guards and stuff -- that was not cool.

"When I got back to Canada a couple of hours ago, I literally almost French kissed a customs' agent dude. I'm like, 'I love you man.' "

Fortune says he is in the process of purchasing a home in Orono, Ont., population 1,800, and plans to finish work on his solo project, Death of a Motivational Speaker.

The concept album, which follows a man on his journey to hell, will be released late this year.

"I have written enough (bad) songs in my life, like hundreds of them, to know when I've written good ones and this is good stuff," he says, adding no matter how well received the CD is, he's not leaving INXS.

"The band wants to take a good seven, eight months off because we have been on the road for about 21 months.

"They are so supportive of this and even if I only end up touring Canada on it, I'll be a happy man."

Meesh

Back to top Go down

Post  Meesh Sun Mar 22, 2009 2:17 am

Hans Fruck Interview

JD Fortune Interview

Submitted by Hans Fruck on March 1, 2007 - 1:57pm

In July 2005 INXS embarked on a brave/tawdry/pioneering/ghoulish (choose your adjective) televised search for a new lead singer. The odds were stacked against them - and stacked tenfold against whichever singer they chose. This not-Michael would have very big shoes to fill. Hans talks to JD Fortune about big shoes, big balls, and rotting nerves.

In the 18 months since INXS made JD Fortune the latest replacement for Michael Hutchence, the band have covered a lot of ground. They've completed a world tour, played to over 700,000 people, and released their first JD-fronted album, Switch. So far, the numbers are formidable. Capitalising on the torrent of Rock Star: INXS publicity, the album has sold more than one million copies worldwide. It peaked at #15 on US charts and, at last count, had clocked up more than 370,000 sales in the US alone. This compares to a US peak of #41 and sales of 176,000 for Elegantly Wasted, the last album featuring Hutchence.

Of course, it's hard to know how much of this success is owed to the reality-TV profile of Rock Star: INXS. Only the band's next album will resolve that question. Talking to me from his mother's basement in his native Nova Scotia, Canada, JD says he's already been busy writing new songs. "I've been writing a lot. I've just finished writing twelve songs", he says. "I've just exposed every aching inch and every rotting nerve of my system to these songs." The songs may not make it onto the record, but he keeps writing because "It's a perishable thing. The less you use the less you have of it..."

Despite touring Australia recently, INXS are poised to tour again, this time with Simple Minds and Arrested Development. The band have only recently completed 14 months of non-stop touring, but JD isn't fazed by the prospect of saddling up again so soon: "It's been tiring, but just fuckin' rewarding, man. It's awesome playing in front of people, getting to do what you want to do, you know? What you love to do. It's great."

He's keen to talk; his words tumble over each other, hitching only on frequent "you knows" and "you know what I means." It's hard not to be won over by his transparent good humour. You believe him when he says he can't believe the life he's living. This is a different JD from the one who introduced himself to the world via Rock Star: INXS, where he sported a bruising win-at-all-costs persona. When I ask if he's succumbed to the rock-star lifestyle and made any outrageous requests, he says "Au contraire, my friend," and laughs. "I'm going through the holy shit, I don't think I deserve any of this and everyone's gonna find out I'm a great big fuckin' fraud."

No wonder it took a little while for JD to find his feet in the band. "Being the newest member of the band, it's kinda like bringing a new animal into the house," JD says. "You've got five dogs and then you bring another dog in, and everybody kinda sits around for little while. And eventually you have a few scrapes here and there, but at the end of the day we're all just dogs, and we all just wanna eat, shit, sleep, fuck, and make music."

"Initially, I felt like I was still auditioning," he says. "Every night I went out, there were a lot of people (saying) 'You better be good. Don't fuck this up. This is our band'. And now, it's our band. And we're sharing it with the world ... The first three months everyone was sorta holding their breath: 'Oh my god, oh my god, are we actually doing this?' And then, when it worked, it was 'Thank god we're doing this!'"

But the band accepting JD is only half the story. What about the fans? JD's repeatedly protested that he's not Michael Hutchence, and not trying to be. But it's a difficult path he has to walk - be himself, but not deviate too far from what the fans expect. "I've tried to wrap my brain around what is that I can do to make it my own. And the only thing I could come up with was just to try to sing them the way they make me feel, you know, when I was a kid. Sing them how... like they're my own kids. But at the same time there are a lot of fans who deserve to have them sung so that they feel as close to it as we are."

JD's acutely aware that more than his fate is riding on this venture. "I had concerns about dropping a very, very, very large ball," he laughs. "It's probably an understatement to say very, very, very large. It would be the ultimate demise of, you know, the band's career - and it'd be a shitty way to go - and my career. And I'd look like an asshole, and I used to get not paid for that. And I didn't want to get not paid for that again."

The change in JD's circumstances have definitely been dramatic. Not so long ago, after a business venture went bust, he was left living in his car. And for a while, he paid bills by working as an Elvis impersonator and teaching martial arts. It's little wonder, then, that he says he's given "everything physically possible that I could... that I honestly could muster in my bones and in my soul" to this magic-carpet ride with INXS.

In an industry already jaundiced by a slew of Idol contests, JD's selection via Rock Star: INXS - devised by reality-TV maestro Mark Burnett - was always gonna be greeted with withering contempt. When I suggest that some people wanted to dislike him and the band because of the manner in which he was chosen, JD's philosophical.

"I would hope so, because then we wouldn't be human, if we didn't. I cherish the fact that people have likes and dislikes, and I welcome it all. Because what helps us, you and me, be better writers is human emotion and human experience, and no one's shoving anything down anybody's throat."

This cynicism is probably what he means when he remarks that the band "had a lot of hills to climb this year", though he's quick to add "I daren't say mountains because, you know what, it's something we love to do. So it can't possibly be a mountain. I mean, kids who are sick and dying or, you know, fatally ill, that's a fuckin' mountain, man. So this is a privilege, not a right, you know? This world that I'm living in."

"We're all in this together, this whole big blue ball, this planet thing. Hans, you're sitting there, and I'm here, and we're having this conversation. And we're really, you know, we're spinning out of control as a race of human beings. And we have to have a moment to breathe, and we have to have a moment to relax, and that's what's so great about reading and listening to music and ... just being entertained in general. Because we work too hard to not have that privilege, and that's what we try to do on stage"

And now that he's living his dream, JD's determined nothing is gonna keep him off that stage. "When I tore ligaments in my knee, I was taking painkillers to be on stage just so I could get through a set ... That was a test from life and of my commitment to myself as a musician and as an artist. I've come this far, but frankly, the hardest thing I had to do was play injured and play like there was no injury. And that's something that fucks your brain, and it fucks your body up. And I just hope that when I'm 50, if I make it there, that hopefully my leg will still be intact."

"But if it's not... Whenever anybody says to me 'Aw, I'm sorry about your leg'. I'll say, 'Fuck, man, it was worth every left-footed step I've ever taken in my life'."

INXS play the Myer Music Bowl, Melbourne, on Saturday 24 March. Tix through Ticketmaster, 136 100.

Meesh

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down